Tour Planning

As of April 1, 2017, National no longer requires units to file a Tour Plan with the Council before they go on outings.  Click here to read the memo from the Council.  Click here to read the FAQ from National.

Although filing a Tour Plan is no longer required, units are still responsible to follow the guidelines as though a Tour Plan was filled out.  You can still use the Tour & Activity Plan as a planning document for your unit activities.

  • Leaders planning and participating in an outing read all relevant sections in the most current “Guide To Safe Scouting” (you can download a printable PDF there) as part of your planning and before each outing. Be familiar with the “Sweet 16” and how they apply to your outing.
  • Parental consent is required for each outing. Written consent is recommended for the protection of the unit leaders. No particular format is required, though BSA does offer this form for your use.
  • Drivers should understand their responsibilities as listed in the Transportation section of the Guide To Safe Scouting, and unit leaders should have a list of the appropriate information.
  • Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required for all trips and outings.
  • Hazardous Weather Training – at least one adult attending the activity. This training is available at
  • Youth Protection Training – at least one adult attending the activity, but this training is mandated for all registered leaders. This training is available at
  • Other training (Safe Swim Defense, BALOO, Safety Afloat, Climb on Safely, etc.) may be required based on the activity your unit is participating in. Please see the Guide to Safe Scouting for additional requirements.
  • Training recommendations: Longs Peak Council requires Basic First Aid and CPR at all Council camping facilities, and is recommended for all trips.  Wilderness First Aid is required for any National High Adventure Base trips, and recommended for all back-country adventures.
  • A first aid kit and emergency roadside kit should be carried on every outing.
  • A Float Plan must be submitted to your unit leadership before the trip if you are on moving water (for example: Canoeing or a rafting trip on a river). Longs Peak Council has a suggested LPC Float Plan Form.
  • A Current Health and Medical Record must be in the possession of the Activity Leader for each outing (Parts A & B). A medical provider’s signature is only required on trips of greater than 72 hours (Part C). National High adventure bases require Part D. If you are attending a Colorado Boy Scout Camp for an activity longer than 72 hours, you must ALSO attach the Colorado Certificate of Immunizations, Exemptions, and Other Authorizations. Please go to for more information about the required medical forms for your activity.
  • If your unit is participating in orientation flights, the flight plan must be filed with the council.
  • Always provide a copy of the above information to a unit contact person who is not on the trip, so that someone knows exactly where you went & how to find you.

Wilderness Use Permits

Scout groups using some Wilderness Areas must obtain a “Visitor Use Permit” prior to arrival.
(more info)