Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan

Provided by the Longs Peak Council to all registered youth and adult members. A brief summary of the plan follows: (See the HSR brochure for details)

The Council Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan is provided by the Longs Peak Council, BSA, for all registered youth and adult members of the council.
LDS Units will not be covered by the Council plan – they will continue to be covered by a Church policy.

The plan is through Health Special Risk, Inc. (HSR) of Carrolton, Texas. The plan provides year-round coverage for injuries occurring anywhere in the world under these conditions:

  1. Participating in an official Scouting or Learning for Life activity.
  2. Traveling to and from official Scouting or Learning for Life activities.
  3. Coverage for sickness begins while the insured member is in attendance at an official overnight Scouting or Learning for Life activity, or traveling to and from such an overnight or other covered event.
  4. The plan does provide coverage for non- member youth and adults who are being encouraged to join Scouting or Learning for Life as registered members. Other guests are not covered.
  5. New youth and adult members are automatically covered.


INJURY – means accidental bodily harm sustained by an insured member that results directly and independently of all other causes from a covered accident. The injury must be caused solely through external and accidental means.

SICKNESS – means any sickness that requires unscheduled medical treatment during an official Scouting or Learning for Life activity.


Benefits are for medical expenses, dental treatment, and ambulance services: Up to $15,000 for accidental medical expenses benefit, up to $7,500 for sickness expense benefits, up to $5,000 for dental treatment, up to $6,000 for ambulance service benefits (includes air ambulance), up to $1,500 for return transportation expenses.

Not Covered: The policy does not cover the following:

  1. Treatment provided by any member of the insured’s family or household or by a person retained by the BSA.
  2. Any loss caused by intentionally self-inflicted injuries.
  3. Any loss caused by suicide or attempted suicide.
  4. Eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, examinations or prescriptions for them, or repair or replacement of them.
  5. Loss caused by war or act of war.
  6. Injuries or sickness paid or payable by Workers Compensation, employer’s liability laws or similar occupational benefits.
  7. Non BSA registered youth or adults.

How Do We Cover a Non-Registered Person?

The best way to cover a non-registered adult is to “register” him or her as an official member of the Boy Scouts of America with the Longs Peak Council before the event or activity. Cub Scout Packs may register an adult as an Assistant Den Leader or Pack Committee Member or Assistant Cubmaster (all age 21 plus). Boy Scout Troops may register an adult as an Assistant Scoutmaster (age 18 plus) or Troop Committee Member (age 21 plus). Venture Crews may register an adult as an Associate Advisor (age 21 plus) or Crew Committee Member (age 21 plus).

To see about covering other members of a family please contact HSR for details on this possibility.

Claims Procedure:

Claims are to be immediately sent to Health Special Risks, Inc. (HSR), and NOT the Longs Peak Council, using the 2018_Council_62_ClaimForm

* The BSA Claim Form is available on the HSR Claim Forms Page.

Other HSR Claim Forms (eg National and International Events)

Accident and Sickness Claims – Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What information is necessary to get a medical claim processed?

A: Since all the insurance plans are “Excess Insurance” policies, it is necessary for Health Special Risk, Inc. (HSR) to receive:

  1. A Completed Claim Form * detailing: information about the injured person, how the accident or sickness occurred, Primary Insurance Information and the required signatures.
  2. A copy of ALL Itemized Bills from your medical providers (hospitals, doctors, x-rays, physical therapists, etc.). In many instances, particularly with hospitals, the parent or scout will need to contact the hospital directly to get a copy of the itemized bills. These itemized bills are absolutely necessary to process claims because they give us the diagnostic and procedural codes detailing the services performed. “Balance Due” statements cannot be accepted in lieu of the Itemized Bills.
  3. A copy of the Primary Insurance Company’s Explanation of Benefits (EOB). This EOB statement is mailed to you from your primary insurance company showing you how they processed your claim. Because the BSA insurance plans are excess insurance plans above $300.00, these EOBs are necessary for any claim in excess of $300.00.

Q: What will cause a delay in processing a claim?

A: Typically delays in processing claims are due to lack of information. More often than not HSR does not have either an Itemized Bill or an EOB. As a general rule of thumb, be sure to include BOTH the Itemized Bill AND the applicable EOB showing the primary insurance payment for that particular charge.

Q: How can I contact HSR about a claim?

A: HSR operates a Customer Service Department in Dallas, Texas. They answer the phones 12 hours a day, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Central Time which is 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM in all four USA Time Zones. You can reach HSR toll-free at 1-866-726-8870, via email at or by fax at 972-512-5839.

Q: What is “Primary/Excess Insurance?”

A: The insurance plans pay the first $300.00 of any claim on a “primary Basis” regardless of any Primary Insurance. For claims above $300.00 in total, the insurance becomes “Excess” meaning it will pay those expenses not paid by the Primary Insurance. In the event there is no other insurance, these plans will pay primary.

Q: Will I get an acknowledgment the claim is being processed and/or paid?

A: If all the required information is received initially, HSR will just process the claim, make payment and send you an EOB detailing how the claim was paid (or denied) and who was paid and how much. If HSR needs more information, you will receive a letter from them listing the specific items still needed to process your claim.

General Liability and Automobile Liability Coverage

Listed below are brief outlines of insurance coverage provided by or through the local Council:

Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan

The 2018_Council_62_DescriptionOfCoverage is provided by the Longs Peak Council, BSA, for all registered youth and adult members of the council.

LDS Units are not covered by the Council plan – they will continue to be covered by a Church policy.

Comprehensive General Liability Insurance

This coverage provides protection for the Council, all Scouting professionals, and employees, Scouting Units, chartered organizations, and volunteer Scouters (whether or not registered) with respect to claims arising in the performance of their duties in Scouting. Coverage is more than $15,000,000 for bodily injury and property damage.

The insurance provided to Scouting volunteers through the BSA General Liability Insurance program is excess over any other insurance the volunteer might have to his or her benefit, usually homeowners; personal liability, or auto liability policy. There is no coverage for intentional or criminal acts.
By providing insurance coverage to volunteers on an excess basis, BSA is able to purchase higher limits. Because of the high limits, volunteers should NOT be placed in a position where their assets are jeopardized because of a negligence liability claim or lawsuit.

Automobile Liability Insurance

All vehicles MUST be covered by a public liability and property damage liability insurance policy. The amount of this coverage must meet or exceed the insurance requirement of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. It is recommended, however, that coverage limits are at least $50,000/$100,000/$50,000. Any vehicle carrying ten or more passengers is required to have limits of $100,000/$500,000/$100,000. In the case of rented vehicles, the requirement of coverage limits can be met by combining the limits of personal coverage carried by the driver with coverage carried by the owner of the rented vehicle. All vehicles used in travel outside the United States must carry a public liability and property damage liability insurance policy that complies with or exceeds the requirements of that country. The Council’s Automobile Liability Insurance is in excess of the insurance the owner of the auto carries but does protect the owner above his limits up to the Council’s $15,000,000 limit of coverage. A Tour Permit is required when Units leave their immediate area. National Tour Permits are required for all trips more than 500 miles. These permits should list the drivers’ names and limits of Automobile Liability Insurance carried.

Other Info

Units should print a copy of the 2018_Council_62_DescriptionOfCoverage and take it with them on all activities.

HSR BSA TEAM FOR CLAIMS PROCESSING – Contacts at HSR for the best service when submitting claims.