Ben Delatour Scout Ranch includes Camp Charles Jeffrey, Elkhorn High Adventure Base, Soaring Eagle Camp, Jack Nicol Cub Scout Family Camp, and all backcountry areas.
Conservation Projects need to be arranged with the chair of the BDSR Conservation Team & the BDSR Camp Ranger.
Forestry & Range Management
- Transplant 50 plus trees from the BDSR nursery to areas where excessive tree removal has left the area without trees.
- Take one-half acre of forest and thin it for fire mitigation purposes. Pile slash, and remove usable wood for other purposes. Burn slash piles at appropriate time when snow cover is sufficient (permit needed)
- Survey and mark to be removed at least 100 small under story Douglas fir trees suitable for Christmas trees. Remove these trees and deliver to a pre-arranged social service agency for distribution to families in need.
Soil & Water Conservation
- Select a campsite in Camp Jeffrey, and plan and install a suitable soil conservation plan that controls rain water flow.
- Develop and implement a plan to control water flow and soil erosion at the Tower Rock Campfire Arena in Camp Jeffrey.
- Develop and implement a plan to control water flow and soil erosion at the campfire arena in Soaring Eagle Camp.
- Survey and develop a plan for controlling erosion on the Coral Rock Trail. Implement this plan to completion.
- Develop a plan for controlling water flow to stop erosion in front of the Armstrong Coral Rock Lodge Dining Hall. Implement this plan to conclusion.
- Survey BDSR to determine where solar energy use would be feasible. Implement solar energy use in a least five locations.
- Survey BDSR to determine where timing devices on electrical items – mostly lighting – could be installed so electricity is not used when people are not present. Implement the findings by installing at least five energy saving devices.
Fish & Wildlife Management
- Construct and place bird escape ladders – from an approved design – in all BDSR cattle watering tanks.
- Manage and/or expand the bluebird house trail for a 24-month period.
- Survey Elkhorn Creek and develop and implement a plan to improve the creek’s fishery, and implement a portion of the plan.
Resource Recovery (Recycling)
- Create and implement a plan for recycling cardboard, plastic, and aluminum products during the summer camp period.
- Collect, cut to length, and haul forest mitigation by-product wood to be used as firewood. Make arrangements with the Nightwalker Program (Fort Collins, CO) to deliver this wood to an Indian reservation to be used for home heating.
Air & Water Pollution Control
- Survey the entire length of the Elkhorn Creek to determine water quality at predetermined locations. Observe and record where people, cattle, wildlife, and run-off negatively impact water quality. Correct at least five situations where water quality is negatively affected.
Hazardous Material Disposal & Management
- Develop a plan, and construct the necessary facility, for the proper disposal of used oil products at BDSR.
Invasive Species Control
- Survey a predetermined portion of BDSR to determine the impact invasive species are having on the environment. Develop and implement a plan to remove invasive species from this location.