Feb 2-Feb 4, 2018
Gold has been spotted and the rush is on. The Great North is calling. Get your sled ready. Klondike is coming, February 2-4, 2018 at Gould Community Center
As in years past, Patrols will follow the Klondike trail, earning Klondike Gold in each of the events along the way. They will be able to use their gold to bid on terrific prizes at the Klondike Auction held Saturday evening. Every Patrol that participates will be able to bid on and win prizes. Those patrols that perform well will be in the best position to bids for the prizes they want! Be Prepared to have fun!
- Patrol leaders (not just SPL) should be at the cracker barrel Friday 9pm in the cabin.
- Every patrol needs to bring:
- A sled: this doesn’t need to be fancy
- Patrol flag, a cheer, and a yell. This will be part of earning gold.
- Scout spirit.
- Fire building materials: enough to cook a pancake
- A pan to cook the pancake
- A gold nugget storage bag.
- Water for each member
- Snacks for each member
- Extra clothing.
- Snow shoes or skis for each scout.
- A snow shovel.
- There will be seven events where patrols compete by themselves against time/scoring/etc
- Scout discus: One scout will be the discus, on a sled. We will provide a sled but if you have one that steers true, that would be better.
- Sling shot biathlon:
- Make a fire and a pancake: Scouts need to bring their own kindling and wood and a pan. We will provide a fire pan and batter.
- Sledding on a hill:
- Ice Rescue: Scouts need to know how to do an ice rescue. No, we won’t do this on a lake.
- Olympic Trivia: It would be good to know about scouts in the olympics. If you have any such trivia we’d appreciate you sending it to us!
- Patrol Challenge#1: If we told you then it would spoil the fun.
- There will also be two Patrol vs Patrol events from 2-3pm
- Relay: Scouts need to bring a sled and know First Class first aid carries and knots.
- Patrol challenge #2: Please see note about Patrol Challenge #1.
- Please pre-register with the from below prior to coming. You can register early with an estimated number and then refine the numbers the week before the event after your final troop meeting. You may do this as many times as you need to, the most recent registration is used. This costs nothing and helps us to get a correct headcount for planning purposes.
- Bring plenty of warm clothing and camping gear, snowshoes and/or cross country skis, snow shovels, patrol sleds and patrol flags. Each scout must Be Prepared to stay warm!
- Bring all the water that your troop will need for cooking, cleaning and drinking. There will not be any at the campsite. Hot water will be available at the lodge for hot drinks. Please bring your own cup and ingredients, and let’s all drink plenty of water.
- Make sure that each patrol brings a sled that has everything listed in the sled requirements section.
- We will ask each attending unit to bring a food item for dinner, the food list is listed below.
- The cost is $25 for scouts and $15 for adults. In previous years, units canceled at the last minute and as a result the event lost money as too many materials were purchased for the number of scouts that actually attended. This year, if you pre-register and then cancel at the last minute, your unit will be liable to offset the costs of the materials that the district purchased on your behalf.
- Bring firewood. Fires are allowed, firewood and fire pans will not be provided.
- Check-in begins at 2:00 pm on Friday at the “Klondike City” lodge..
Each unit is asked to the ingredients for the Klondike Stew and one loaf of bread per patrol. Please bring the following amount of each ingredient per Scout attending. Also please bring 1 loaf of bread per patrol.
- 4 oz Beef for stew
- 2 oz Carrots
- 2 oz Potatoes
- 2 oz Onion
- 2 oz Celery
- 1 loaf of bread per patrol
|Friday||2:00 – 8:00 pm||Check In and set up camp|
|9:00 – 9:30 pm||Cracker barrel and information|
|10:00 pm||Lights Out – TAPS|
|Saturday||7:00 – 8:15 am||Reveille, Breakfast and Cleanup|
|8:30 – 8:50 am||Flag Ceremony, Announcements, Scouts Own|
|9:00 – Noon||Morning Activities|
|Noon – 1:00 pm||Lunch (Webelos join Troops for lunch)|
|1:00 – 3:00 pm||Afternoon Activities|
|3:45 – 4:30 pm||Gather at Headquarters for Dinner|
|4:30 -6:30 pm||Awards, Auction, Campfire|
|10:00 pm||Lights Out – TAPS|
|Sunday||7:00 – 8:15 am||Reveille, Breakfast and Cleanup|
|9:00 am||Break Camp|
The cost of the event is $25/scout and $15/adult. We request that you register early and often as it will help us in planning the event. We will use the numbers on your last registration for our final shopping list. If for some reason you register and then fail to attend, we may have to charge your unit for the materials purchased on your behalf.
For any questions about Klondike, contact Matt Rosing